Monday 5 November 2012

Laurel Cremant...Negotiating Skills!

Hi everyone.

I am really pleased today to be hosting Laurel Cremant on my blog! Laurel has a terrific new book called Negotiating Skills, which happens to have a very sexy cover, by the way. Please read on as she tells us some more, and talks a bit about Alpha Heroines! Yes, you heard that correctly!

Thanks for being here, Laurel!
 
 
 
Hi Rosanna! Thanks so much for hosting me on your blog. I was originally going to provide a character interview from my new book, Negotiating Skills, but I just recently re-read (for the gazillionth time) Pride and Prejudice and have been thinking about the evolution of the romantic heroine ever since.

 

The Alpha Heroine

 

I love a good Alpha Hero. I loved the moment in recent history, when the domineering and often times misogynistic romance hero of the past gave way the more modern Alpha Hero with a heart and an actual understanding that sexual dominance was not the same as superiority. I love a hero who can balance his need to protect and possess with his need to love and sacrifice for his heroine. However, as the modern Alpha Hero’s presence has spread throughout the romance writing world I find myself looking for the reinvention of the typical heroine. I find myself yearning for the full emergence of the Alpha Heroine.

 

The Alpha Heroine is the woman who from the beginning is not afraid to embrace her sexuality. She is the woman who isn’t afraid to state plainly her wants and needs without being portrayed as bitchy or promiscuous. She is a heroine that may avoid her hero for whatever reason, but when she is ready to let him into her life it’s not an act of submission, but of invitation. This woman doesn’t need to be told to touch her man (or woman), she caresses for both their enjoyment and her own. The Alpha Heroine is the woman that matches her Alpha Male on every level and when you see them together on paper (or screen) it’s damn near combustible.

 

In the past, strong heroine’s were often portrayed as being ballbusting, snarky women  who were focused solely on their careers, unable to stop and smell the roses (or their heroes). Inevitably their “alpha” personalities would also lead to them not recognizing or embracing their own sensuality and pleasure. I am officially over this type of heroine. I’m over the cliche that a woman who is focused and driven can’t also be sensitive to her own sexual needs and urges. Strong does not equal bitchy and out of touch.

 

Over the last few years I’ve been reading more and more romance novels with strong heroines and it gives me hope that the Alpha Heroine has finally arrived. She’s not afraid to be vulnerable but she doesn’t wear her vulnerability on her sleeve. She’s not afraid to ask for help but knows when she is capable of rescuing herself. She is not a shrinking virgin or an experienced whore. She is plainly speaking the woman that was, the woman that is and the woman we hope to be. Alpha Men you better brace yourselves, there’s a new woman in town and she’s not afraid to let you know exactly what she wants!

 

 

About Laurel Cremant

Laurel is a romance author, who like most writers loves to read. Her first love (pun intended) has always been romance. From the sappy YA romance novel to the more risqué erotica novels, Laurel is a sucker for a good love story.

Laurel writes paranormal and contemporary romance and is a self proclaimed, out of the closet nerd. She admits that she can't seem to avoid adding a bit of "nerdology" or "geek-dom" to all of her books. Living in Miami, she also admits that she can't seem to avoid giving her heroines gorgeous shoes, "In Miami, we worship everything strappy, open toed and just plain hot!"

 

Her Latest Release

Title: Negotiating Skills

Genre: Contemporary Erotic Romance


Blurb: Witnessing a private act leads to some interesting negotiations... Software programmer Veronica James is struggling to make her new business a success. Unfortunately, after finally landing a major account, she’s at risk of losing it all when she catches her new client Victor Rossi in a very compromising position. In an effort to regain the upper hand, Rossi insists on some very sexy and compromising concessions that have Veronica reconsidering her hard fast rule of not mixing business with pleasure.

Excerpt:

“If you all would excuse us, I’d like to discuss the additional details of my report now.”

 

His tone left no room for argument and the group of VPs and programmers hurried out of the office oblivious to the smoldering fog anticipation in the air.

 

Victor didn’t let his gaze waver from Veronica’s. When the door closed behind the final person Victor pressed the intercom unit at the table and spoke softly to his assistant.

 

“Marie, cancel all remaining appointments for the afternoon and go ahead and leave early,” he said.

 

“Yes Sir,” replied the efficient voice through the speaker.

 

Victor watched as Veronica sat calmly down in a chair at the end of the table and crossed her legs. She quirked an eyebrow at him and her message was clear. Come and get me.

Victor’s dick hardened further in response to her brazen provocation.

 

He stood and began stalking towards her. He shrugged off his suit jacket not bothering to see where it landed.

 

“Just so we’re clear,” he said as he removed his tie and threw it over his shoulder.

 

He reached over and swiveled her chair around to him placing his hands on the armrests effectively caging her in. He leaned forward and his nostrils flared at the scent of her. She wasn’t as unaffected as she pretended to be. He could smell her arousal. The smell was like a wet heavy cloak surrounding her.

 

He gave her his own wicked smile as that small victory whipped through his system.

 

“That,” he said motioning towards his abandoned folio at the head of the table, “is considered an invitation.”

 

Veronica tilted her head back and brought her plush mouth so close to his that her lips brushed his when she spoke softly.

 

“Just so we’re clear,” she replied huskily, “It is.”

 

Victor gave a rumbling sound of satisfaction before clamping his lips on hers in a hungry kiss.

 

 

Find/Stalk Laurel




 

5 comments:

  1. Hey Laurell, I'm with you! I kind of avoid alpha heros...I prefer beta males, with their loving loyalty combined with a desire to please the woman they lust after! And I absolutely hate the trope with virginal inexperienced heroines and older, wiser (read predatory to me!) heroes. I always want to yell at the men to pick on someone their own age, so they get an equal, not someone they can push around! And I want to yell at the female that a man so much older than her will have his abilities begin to fade (if you get my meaning, wink) while she will be in her sexual prime! But then, I write the kinds of books I want to read, and am still looking for my readers. I guess old memes are still popular and the idea of being rescued is still a female fantasy.

    I'll have to add your books to my TBR pile in my over-loaded kindle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fiona! It's good to know that I'm not the only one in the back of the car shaking her head in confusion at the weak heroine model :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Rosanna! Thanks so much for hosting me!Maybe you and I can start an Alpha Heroine revolution :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love strong female characters. I especially enjoy when they're partnered with equally strong male ones. Seems like more and more, I'm finding books that need to be added to my "must read" list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Glad you liked Laurel's book! :)

      Delete